Why We Are 50th

Do away with the Filibuster

The filibuster is anti-democratic. I would like to eliminate the Senate rule on filibuster. Note that Alexander Hamilton warned in the Federalist Papers that use of the filibuster would make the congress dysfunctional. (Yes, it is.) Let’s revert to majority rule.

The only downside I can see to repealing it is when we’re this polarized gridlock is potentially better than a high speed crash.

That said, the Republicans already have such an advantage in the way the Senate is structured the filibuster serves them best. Even though the senate is nearly split democratic senators represent approximately 40 million more people.

The side in the minority understandably wants to keep the filibuster, as it is their best tool to ensure the majority’s bill–opinion, position (whatever)–does not prevail. At the same time, the majority party is reluctant to see the filibuster dismissed from Senate rules, as the majority party thinks ahead to the time their party will be in the minority. That is all understandable but still anti-democratic. We elect a party to majority standing to carry out the will of the majority of the people. That is democracy. Any rule that stymies that aim is wrong, I think.

1 Like